10/24/08

19th century fenian brotherhood mugshots





























"Identified as felons and Fenian political prisoners, the subjects of the photographs in these two albums include some of the leaders of the Fenian Brotherhood and its Irish wing, the Irish Republican Brotherhood. One of these, the early activist Jeremiah O'Donovan Rossa (1831-1915), recounted sitting for his portrait:

After being shaven I was led to have my picture taken. The photographer had a large black-painted pasteboard prepared, with my name across it in white, and, pinning it across my breast, he sat me in position. I remained sitting and looking according to instructions until he had done, and he never had the manners to tell-what artists never fail to tell me-that I made an exceedingly good picture. [O'Donovan Rossa's prison life: six years in six English prisons (1874) p.73]'"

found here, on the nyc public library digital collection, from 1865, mountjoy prison. was the standard 19th c. british prison uniform a three piece wool suit or was it just for the photograph? damn, they all look so modern. go here for more on the fenian brotherhood.


No comments:

About:

My photo
rebeccaaisling@gmail.com